Friday, July 13, 2018

Milestone ~

 
DSO celebrated a milestone birthday this week.  A (not quite) surprise party was thrown.  He knew something was up, but a friend of mine totally blew it just before the party was to start. 


 
I bought this wonderful birdbath at an antique shop that is going out of business.  Though not old, I fell in love with it and bought it.  Then it dawned on me that it is concrete and weighs a ton.  I was almost afraid to tell DSO about it, but he was such a sport.  Thankfully there was a guy at the shop to help him load it and when we got to my house, he had a ramp system that made it so easy to put in place.  It is never going to move :)  I look forward to next year when the hostas and ferns will mature.

 
I've purchased a few of these concrete leaves as gifts over the years, but never had one for myself.  I found this at a sale a few weeks ago.

 
The clematis were beautiful this year.


 
These hosta were gorgeous ~ until yesterday when the deer discovered them.  ARGH!  I found a recipe for homemade deer repellant (eggs, hot sauce and garlic powder).  Even though it is supposed to sit for 24 hours to get really stinky, I applied immediately.  I will make another batch and hopefully the deer will not bother them any more.  I live in the city but with woods nearby, and the deer are a real problem.



A hen having chicks :)

 
Not sure what this is and haven't done a search.  Sure hope it's nothing bad.  Anyone know?




Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

13 comments:

Lori from Notforgotten Farm said...

Happy Birthday Wishes!
gardens look great and I ADORE that birdbath!!!
your tiny friend is a: Ailanthus Webworm Moth (Atteva punctella)
you can read more about her on
https://www.insectidentification.org/insect-description.asp?identification=Ailanthus-Webworm-Moth :)
Lori

Prims By The Water said...

Your bug is a webworm moth. THe birdbath you bought is awesome. What a great gift. That would be like me too though to purchase and then wonder how I would get it home. LOL. So love that concrete leaf. Will need to keep my eye on one of those. Hope you have a great weekend Lauren. Janice

Unknown said...

Happy birthday wishes! Beautiful flower and I LOVE your bird bath!!!!
Sheila

Julia said...

Happy Birthday to your man. The birdbath and the big leaf are awesome and your flowers are looking so beautiful. You place must look very inviting with all the work that was done on the house and your neat gardens.
I have never seen a webworm moth before. It has pretty markings.
Have a great weekend.
Hugs, Julia

Saundra said...

Lucky you to have a wonderful and thoughtful man. Sheesh, someone forgot my milestone birthday 1 1/2 years ago...maybe if I'm lucky to reach 80 I'll have one then.

Love your birdbath and those leaves. And the furry rodents (squirrels) have eaten every one of my Hens and Chicks. Heck, they've eaten thru deck furniture, wood railings and legs of wooden furniture on my front deck.

acorn hollow said...

love that birdbath! Happy Birthday to DSO he looks happy enough about the party.
Not sure what the bug is but very pretty.
your gardens are lovely
Cathy

Merry Wind Farm said...

Your flowers are beautiful this year. I hate mine, I think I will just dig it all up and start over next year. Happy Birthday to DSO!
Melinda

WoolenSails said...

I love that bird bath, what a wonderful find. Your gardens are beautiful, I am lucky if I have a few plants that bloom each year, really need to do more landscaping.

Debbie

Jacqueline said...

Great birdbath and your flowers are beautiful. Nice of you to do the "surprise " for your special guy.

Daisy Debs said...

I love the bird bath ....and happy for the wild birds :)

Farm Girl said...

What a nice birthday party, and what a great bird bath. I love your gardens. They are just beautiful. I had no idea you had deer problems. I loved seeing all of your incredible flowers.

moosecraft said...

lol! It's sooooo difficult to keep fun stuff a surprise! :-) I'm sure DSO enjoyed the party anyways! :-)
Looooove that birdbath....and those leaves too! Such pretty accents to your beautiful garden.

Jennie in GA said...

We gave my hubby a surprise 75th this year, also. That is a gorgeous birdbath, and your flowers are beautiful!!