Thursday, January 18, 2018

The Travel Gods were Smiling Down on Me ~


 
Miraculously I made it home yesterday from rug camp.  I had a connection in Charlotte, NC.  I was assured by a seasoned traveler that there was no way I would make it out of Charlotte with the snow they were having.  Upon leaving Jacksonville, the agent put me on an earlier flight so that I would not miss my connection, but upon landing in Charlotte my phone blew up with messages telling me my 5:52 pm flight was cancelled and they had put me on a 10:24 pm flight.  Looking at the flight monitor I saw there was a (delayed) flight leaving for Cleveland in half an hour at a gate that was in a different concourse, a long way from where I was.  I had no idea Charlotte was such a big airport and it must be an American Airlines hub.  Well, I walk up to the gate and see that the walkway is already away from the airplane.  I sheepishly say I know it is crazy but is it possible there could be a seat on that airplane?  That dear agent said let me check and came back saying I (and another woman hoping for the same miracle) could board.  Woo hoo!  I made it back to Cleveland but my suitcase did not.  I was just thrilled to be back home and not sitting in an airport.  AA text message system did not update and know that I was already in CLE and kept sending me messages about the flight delays on the plane I was supposed to be on. I received a message that the flight was delayed until 11:10 pm.  At 11:12 pm I received a message that the flight was cancelled and they booked me on the 10:24 pm flight TONIGHT.  Holy moly.  I would have gone stir crazy sitting in an airport for a day and a half.
 
Now if the suitcase gods will smile upon me.  Not sure where my suitcase is and at this point the airline is not sure either.  My Snapdragon, wool  and two rugs are in that bag!!!
 
Whew!  Are you still with me?  Here is my rug progress from camp.  It doesn't look like much for four days of hooking, but I am pleased.  Kris Miller is an excellent teacher and I'm so happy to have finally taken a class from her. 
 
 
A big shout out to Sue, a blog reader of mine for many years.  She was such a sweetie and picked me up at the airport and then dropped me back off so I did not have to put on my big girl panties and take Uber.
 
Lots more to share :)

Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

13 comments:

marly said...

When I put on my big girl panties, it is literal, and only literal. I would need a Xanax to travel alone. So lucky you got that flight!

Jacqueline said...

Glad to hear you are home safe and sound. And you did luck out for sure with your connection.

Love the colors in your rug, so soft and faded looking.

Saundra said...

Wow, you were a very lucky woman. Cannot imagine sleeping in the airport on the floor all that time. I'd say you accomplished a lot on the rug and can't wait to see more photos.

Prims By The Water said...

OMG you are so lucky to have gotten that flight out. Charlotte is the hb of NC and they dont usually get snow. My nephew and his wife live in Hickory NC and she was born down there. They came up for Christmas and she loved the snow. I LOVE LOVE the colors of your rug. Hope your suitcase comes home soon. Janice

Farm Girl said...

I am so glad you made it back home. What an adventure. I know you will get your luggage back soon. I can't wait to hear all about your trip. What a nice thing for them to do giving you a seat on that plane. Welcome home.

WoolenSails said...

Sounds like quite an adventure and glad you were able to get on a flight in time and hope that your luggage finds it's way home too. I love the colors in your rug, such gorgeous shades.

Debbie

NMK said...

With stories like yours , I would rather drive .....your rug is gorgeous !!!

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Hi Lauren,
So very happy you missed all the delays and I trust your suitcase gets safely back to you soon!! I have been to that airport and know about having to get to a different gate!! Your new rug is just beautiful and look forward to seeing it all finished!! Hope you enjoy your weekend!
Heart Hugs~
Julie

Jennie in GA said...

Lucky you!!! Hope your bags are home by now. To heck with the clothes!!! Love your rug, and it appears you got a lot done to me.

Margaret said...

Oh my goodness! That's the problem with winter travel -- you just never know how the weather will affect your flights. I'm glad you avoided all the cancelled flights and all and got home safe and sound. Here's hoping your suitcase makes it home soon too! Loooove your rug!!! So pretty!

moosecraft said...

Oooooooh! Your rug is so beautiful! Your luggage will find you...it may take a week...but it will happen! Have you got a spare frame to hook with in the meanwhile?

denise said...

The airport part sounds exhausting. Charlotte Airport is not too bad but Atlanta is awful. Nashville is the best one I've been to

village folk art said...

WELCOME HOME, safe and sound at that. Hope the God's are in your favor keeping your luggage safe and sound too. Your rug is wonderful.
Have a great 'rest of the day' my friend, Barb