Friday, February 26, 2010

A Collection of ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~ SPICE CUPBOARDS
This is the first spice cupboard (aka spice box, cabinet, chest, drawers) I purchased well over 20 years ago. {{Gee. I must have bought this when I was 12...lol!}} It is in the living room atop a six pane hanging cupboard, between an old spongeware bowl and a reproduction Shaker pantry box. It has the most wonderful patina and is one of my favorites, probably because I believe it to be older and it's much more unique.
Also in the living room is this very primitive one purchased on eBay from seller Yankeei. A bowl of miniature stone fruit sits in front and on top, a little repro redware plate from Turtlecreek Potters that says "snippets". For those of you who don't hook, snippets are the little tails of wool that are cut off during the hooking process. The crocheted piece was done by my maternal grandma many decades ago.
Here's a close-up view.
In the kitchen, I have two more spice cupboards sitting on an antique cupboard. This one is covered with a thick coat of barn red paint.
And another with more miniature stone fruit in an old pressed glass compote.
Finally, I have two more in the dining room atop an old pie safe. Here's part of my Americana collection that I have been collecting for many years. About half the pieces are vintage ~ most of the other pieces are gifts from family and friends.This one also has the most marvelous patina. On top is a vintage bank.
Here's the last one I have ~ having only six drawers instead of the more common eight.
Thank you so much for stopping by and viewing my spice cupboard collection. I do hope you will come again soon.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

14 comments:

Janene said...

I love the look of spice cupboards...and yours are gorgeous!
I love the patina...so old and great looking!
Have a safe weekend!

Sheila said...

Oh Lauren I love your spice cupboards! They are great and so is your americana items. I'd love to win one of those too! :)

Deb said...

I love all your pictures and how you have everything displayed in each one! And I love spice cupboards. I've never heard of anyone collecting them, but I can't think of anything better to collect! I'm always drawn to them when I see them, but then I have to step back and try to figure out where I'd actually put them.

Kathy (woolfind) said...

Great cupboards Lauren! Thanks for sharing..

Anonymous said...

Hello Lauren~Your spice cupboards are lovely..all of them! What a wonderful collection, and only since you were twelve? (;

The Eveningstitcher said...

Lauren...I love your spice cupboards!! I used to have a collection also..but I only had three. They are so unique and beautiful in their own way...thanks for sharing!

Bobbie

Dan said...

Lauren~

I love all of your spice boxes. They look wonderful! Thank you for sharing them with us! ~Dan~

Joanne said...

Love those spice cupboards - just great how you have everything dispalyed!

bittersweet said...

Lauren, love your display of spice cupboards and the snippets dish is fun too. Stay warm on this snowy cold week-end.

My Colonial Home said...

Just beautiful spice cupboards...what a wonderful collection.
Karen

Lee Hill Primitives said...

Simply beautiful pieces!

Tamera's Craft Palace said...

I love your spice cabinets!! I'm always drawin to little cabinets and cupboards!!

Tamera @ The Stone Fence Cottage

Doris said...

Love the spice cabinets. How lucky you are to have such a collection. Pugs are adorable (Moments in Tine)

Karin said...

Lauren,I always love to check on your blog,you display your collections so well, love your spice cabinets!!!