Monday, June 26, 2017

Getting Close ~


It feels like I have been hooking this rug forever.  It was started about six weeks ago at Cedar Lakes rug camp in West Virginia.  I am finally close to finishing.
 
 
 It's Mayfly time in northern Ohio.  (We also call them Canadian soldiers and supposedly the Canadians call them American soldiers.)  Mayflies are aquatic insects belonging to the order Ephemeroptera. This order is part of an ancient group of insects termed the Palaeoptera, which also contains dragonflies and damselflies.  It is supposed to be a sign that the lake (Erie) is healthy, but they just totally freak me out.  They don't bite or poop and only live about 24 hours, though they hatch for several days.  I have this crazy fear of them.  It's totally irrational, but when one lands on me ~ ARGH!  I'm like a crazy woman.  (And the area of town that I live in doesn't have them nearly as bad as some other areas.)

 
 

On that disgusting note, thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

13 comments:

Saundra said...

Congratulations on almost being done. guess I'd better sit my arse down and get busy hooking.

That is quite a huge amount of insects and would disgust me too. Yuck.

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Hi Lauren,
How exciting that you are so close to pulling the final loop!! I'm not a fan of Mayflies either and hate the marks they leave on you clothes if you are unfortunate enough to brush one off!
Take care and hope they leave soon!
Heart Hugs~
Julie

woolwoman said...

oh those are creepy Lauren - my folks have some bug that hatches in their lake they call a Maypop but its kinda translucent and they die quickly too. We also have those hateful love bugs down here. your rug sure is beautiful ! Mel

NMK said...

Your rug looks beautiful !!! But those Bugs , Creep me out too !!!

kelley said...

love this rug Lauren...the bugs...ugh...I'd have nightmares if I saw so many in person...

village folk art said...

Hi Lauren,
Your rug is looking beautiful, as always. Happy for you it will be soon be done and then we can see it finished. +
Those bugs are ugly. Hang in there, they'll be gone before you know it.
Folk Art Hugs,
Barb

Prims By The Water said...

We only get a couple of Mayflies each year. The town a mile from us gets lots of them. Just love these colors in your rug. Janice

WoolenSails said...

Love how the rug is coming along, beautiful colors. Those would bug me too, we have small gnats that come out for a few days and the dragonflies are all over, gobbling them up. Our problem this year is the gypsy moths, but something is killing them, so fine with me.

Debbie

Jacqueline said...

Ugh is right on the bugs, but your rug is fantastic. I love the colors.

Jennie in GA said...

Can't wait to see the entire rug when you pull up the final loop. What cut are you using? I can tell it is going to be gorgeous. Thank goodness you don't have those nugs very long!!

Julia said...

Oh wow, that a lot of those scary insects. I would freakout too. A good thing they don't live long...

Your rug is looking great. Mine is barely one 1/4 done.
I've been so bust lately that I just crash when i come in. 4 new calves and another one on the way.

Take care and enjoy some relaxation.
Smiles & hugs,
Julia

Margaret said...

OMG! I would be horrified by all those mayflies! I've never seen them before. So bizarre looking! Anyway, love your rug! Can't wait to see a finish!

Farm Girl said...

Our Mayflies are teeny tiny. They were out under the light in the front of the house, so I was wondering if yours were hatching yet. Yours are huge!!! I would be creeped out if we had that many. Yuck! Your rug is wonderful. I love your projects. Have a wonderful day.