Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Hit 'n Miss ~


I found a pattern that looked like it would be fun to hook in the summer issue of this magazine. 


When I received my copy of the magazine, there was an 8 1/2" x 11" paper tucked in the magazine  correcting a punch needle pattern.  When I went to put the hooking pattern on linen, I just couldn't figure out how to make it work.  I went online to see if there was a correction and found nothing.  I then sent a Facebook message to the designer, someone local who I personally know.  Her response was that the pattern should have been two pages and only one was printed and that I should "just wing it".  They will be printing a correction in the next issue.  I have a real problem with this.  Yes, I could "just wing it", but could a newbie figure it out? Don't mean to sound bitchy, but for an $8.99 magazine there should not be one mistake, let alone two. 

Anyway, here is my finished mat.  It's about  10 3/4" x 15" and I am pleased with the way it came out.  Of course, the colors are much  better in person.


I also decided to join Saundra and Gayle and hook this little hit 'n miss mat.  I needed something mindless, so I grabbed a handful of worms from each of the worm tubs and hooked away.  It's going very quickly.  I have absolutely no imagination, so, like Saundra's, mine is 12" x 12".  Too bad these mats are not even making a dent in the worms.


Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

14 comments:

kelley said...

I agree with you about the magazine...they should have an online fix...what if you only wanted the one issue...love your new rug though!! started another scrappy one myself...finally making a dent in my worms...

Simply Quaint said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Larkrise garden girl said...

Love your scrappy look!

Saundra said...

Woman, you're putting me to shame because you are just blowing thru this mat.

Agree a newbie couldn't just "wing it". I don't have that issue but guess I'm glad that I dont.

Farm Girl said...

I am so glad you said that there was a correction. I always love your mats. You do such nice color. I cut wool today, but my heart just wasn't in it. I cannot figure out what is wrong with me.
I love how much you have already got done!

Ariane said...

I love your rug. It's gorgeous. And your scrappy mat is looking amazing. You could make a set of these with your worms. Love this scrappy look.

WoolenSails said...

I love the look of hit and miss and yours came out beautifully.

Debbie

My Colonial Home said...

I have to agree with you on the 'error' in magazines - especially for the price paid for them.
Yours turned out quite nicely I would say! Love it and love the colors.
Hit and Miss....still need to do a 'normal' one and finish it lol
But I have so many left over worms I need to do one of these - maybe then I'd do a 'finish'.
Blessings
Karen

Jennie in GA said...

Agree with your thoughts on the magazine correction. Mags are way too expensive for such nonchalance . ButI do love the way yours turned out!

moosecraft said...

I agree with your thoughts on "Just wing it". When I first started with quilting (especially) I found that a lot of patterns were written very vaguely and with the assumption that the person that bought the pattern was an experienced quilter. Those patterns were tucked away until I "figured out the details on my own"... I'm also learning that a lot of patterns are published with mistakes in them... and when it is consistently one particular designer... I stop buying from them. Supplies are way too expensive to be messing up...
Love these little hit n miss mats! Great way to use up some of those worms! :-)

acorn hollow said...

I am a magazine person and that would tick me off big time. yours did come out great though.
cathy

Angela Tucker said...

Good morning! Very, very nice. I am loving handmade rugs more and more. It seems that the older I get, the more I want to return to the simple life...sigh...

village folk art said...

Hi Lauren,
Love your 'Hit & Miss" design ... It's beautiful. Too bad about their attitude to 'wing it', for their convenience...
not good!

Peace for all,
Barb

Gayle said...

LOVE your rugs Lauren! I subscribed to that magazine for the first year, but wasn't terribly impressed with it, so have let it go. Glad you've joined the band wagon on hooking that square hit & miss - I think mine is about 20" square and I'm using 8.5 cuts. So fun to see them - the same, but different!