Thursday, November 21, 2013

Still Lost ~



Well, the proddy tool is still lost, but I found it very easy to add a proddy edge using my Hartman hook.  It's really very simple, but as Gayle pointed out, it does use a lot of wool.  It can be done with strips as narrow or wide as you wish, as long as you want.  It all depends what look you are trying to achieve.

On the mat I just hooked, I hand tore my strips about 4" long.  You can leave the edges blunt or taper them if you wish.  They also can be cut with your cutter or scissors.  They don't have to be exact.  Close is good enough.


When doing proddy with a hook, I worked with the linen on my rug frame.  Insert your hook from the top and pull about half the strip through your backing fabric.


Move over two or three threads and once again insert the hook from the top of the linen.


Pull the tail up and adjust the lengths if needed. It's that easy.  Once you get more added, they will lay better.


From behind, you can see how closely I spaced the proddy edge.


From the front.  I know ~ I should be thinking Christmas gifts, not hearts :)



Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

20 comments:

Julia said...

What a great tutorial Lauren. Precise and to the point. I love that heat mat and the proddy edge sets it off nicely.

Take care,
Hugs,
JB

The Eveningstitcher said...

That really pretty, Lauren! I have never done proddy before but I always like the way it looks in a hooked piece. Have a great evening!

Jacqueline said...

Thanks for the tut. I am going to give this a try.

susiedele said...

I like the look a lot. I've not hooked much yet and never tried proddy but I was thinking a long nose pair of hemostats might work. I have a pair of those in my sewing box.

Saundra said...

Lauren that is CUTE CUTE!!!!! Good job gurlfren. Hey, before I purchased the expensive proddy tool I used a "HEMOSTAT" which can be purchased at the Army Surplus stores, maybe some fishing departments, and if you know a nurse she can get you one which has been sterilized but retired.

Saundra

WoolenSails said...

Very nice, like how the proddy looks.

Debbie

kelley said...

Thanks for sharing this...I can totally see some pillows in my future...

Primitive Stars said...

Love it Lauren, thanks so much, Francine.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful work done by you:)

Jacque. said...

Good job, Lauren!

From Sherry's Heart said...

Oh Lauren that rug is SO COOL!!!! And why can't a heart be a Christmas gift, hearts are for everyday!!! I'm sure someone on your list would LOVE to get that rug!!!!

jennifer768 said...

Love the rug! Thanks for the wonderful tutorial.I really like the proddy edge.Blessings,Jen

The Wool Cupboard said...

Lauren! The rug is adorable. I absolutely LOVE the proddy edge. Thank you for such a clear tutorial.

Hugs, Linda

s said...

Very nice look..........thanks for sharing!
Sheila

Thistle Cove Farm said...

thanks for the huge laugh!

Mugwump Woolies said...

OOh this looks so good! You've given me a push in the right direction...I have always wanted to try this!
Thanks,
Robyn

Raymond Homestead said...

So nice of you to share, love the turkey picture!

Kim said...

I love the proddy look but I'm always hesitant to try. Looks like it takes so much wool

Janet-Olde Crow Primitives said...

Lauren. I love it!

acorn hollow said...

I have never done proddy but like the looks of it. I have a card I am sending my brother that is about the same thing.
have a nice thanksgiving
Cathy