Thursday, July 20, 2017

Mist Trail ~


From LA we headed north to San Carlos to visit friends of DSO ~ people he worked with decades ago and hadn't seen in 20+ years.  From there we went to Yosemite.  Oh, my what a park.  Just gorgeous ~ breathtaking ~ amazing.  Thankfully we were there before the fires.  I pray that they get them under control soon.

Vernal Fall is one of the many falls at Yosemite.  We decided to take the 1.3 mile walk to the top of the falls.  Let me tell you, the climb was one of the hardest things I've ever done.  We were a couple of the oldest people attempting it, but I am happy to say we did it! 
 
Near the beginning of the hike up.

 
After having already hiked up a mile, we came to this sign.  Vernal Fall is as far as we went.  About 3/4 of the way up, the "mist trail" began from water crashing against the boulders.  As my DSO says, "Mist my a**.  More like a summer rain.".  We were soaked down to the unders :)  We pretty much dried off while at the top, only to have to once again get soaked on the way down.
 

 A good part of the steep walk up was paved.


But the closer to the top, the more difficult the climb became.





If you look to the bottom left, you can see people.  It really is a steep climb!

 
We made it to the top :)






The trail started much farther down than you can see in the picture.

 
The "mist".
 


Fitbit counts a floor as a 10' change in elevation.  Not a record number of steps or calories burned, but by far the most floors I've ever done.

 
 
Bridalveil Fall.




 
Giant sequoias.


Upper Yosemite Fall.  I love the reflection.


Another arsty-fartsy picture :)


I still have a bit more to share, but tomorrow I am heading to southern Ohio.  Melinda (Merry Wind Farm) and I are going to the Ali Strebel hook in with featured guest Maggie Bonanomi on Saturday.  I'm sure it will be great fun and it is always a pleasure to spend time with Melinda.
 
Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

16 comments:

WoolenSails said...

That is so gorgeous, what an amazing place to hike, well worth the climb.

Debbie

Jacqueline said...

Great pictures. And I am jealous of all those "floors" on your fit bit. Way to go. Enjoy your hook in.

Daisy Debs said...

Wow ! That is just so breathtakingly beautiful ! Thankyou for sharing this :)

acorn hollow said...

wow I have never been there but so beautiful glad you made it it to the top. and it looks like you slept great that night I would kill to sleep 7 hours and 44 minutes.
Have a wonderful time sounds like fun at the hooking event
Cathy

Three Sheep Studio said...

What absolutely gorgeous pictures ! Hats off to you for taking that climb !! Wow, nice vacation !
Rose

The Eveningstitcher said...

Have fun at the hook in...beautiful pictures!

Saundra said...

I've been to Yosemite when living in California but never went to the falls. Nice photos.

Farm Girl said...

128 floors!!! I have hiked that in my fitbit but never in person. Oh I need to go do this hike. It looks wonderful. I am glad you were there before the fires too. The park is open today but the smoke is crazy. Have a fun time. What a fun bunch of people you will see. You have had such a nice summer so far. I am impressed with your hike.

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Hi Lauren,
WOW!!! You should be SO PROUD of yourselves!!!
Such a BEAUTIFUL place!!!! I'll bet it was really noisy too, with the sound of the falls!!! So happy you were able to see it!!
Your fitbit stats are quite impressive, too!
Hope you have a wonderful time at the Hook In! I want to hang out with you!!! You go to THE BEST PLACES!!!
Enjoy your weekend, my friend!
Heart Hugs~
Julie

Unknown said...

Your fitbit is is proud of you I think. I know I am.
What a lovely place that I will only see in pictures. Thanks for the amazing photos.
Your life is certainly not boring since you retired. You are constantly on the go and very active. Just the way retirement should be.

Have fun at the hookin.
I'll email you when I get a chance.
Hugs, Julia

marly said...

I thought the climb was scary but then the top, oh my! Good for you. Your pictures are sharp and very nice. Have fun hookin.

Prims By The Water said...

Beautiful pictures. Not sure if I could have made it to the top. Not as fit as I would like to be. Always wanted to see the sequoias. Glad you were able to spend time in the park at the right time. Have fun tomorrow. Janice

Jennie in GA said...

Wonderful pics and I am in awe of your trek up the mountain. I am afraid I would have come back down via the falls....lol. Have fun with Ali and Maggie B.

Angela Tucker said...

Your pictures are absolutely gorgeous!! I've been to the park many times, but never tried that trail. I think I'll add that to my bucket list!! I, of course, will be the extra old person at the back of the group. LOL Have a wonderful weekend!

Margaret said...

You're making me homesick for Yosemite! I love that park. Lovely to see what you were up to in California. Have a wonderful time at the hook in! I had a class with Maggie once -- she's so talented!

Anonymous said...

nice article great post comment information thanks for sharing
หนังไทยใหม่