Monday, October 5, 2026

Mother Nature ~

Lake Erie midges (also called midgies, lake flies or muckleheads) are tiny, non-biting, mosquito-like insects that emerge in massive swarms along the shoreline during the spring and fall.


Saturday evening just before dusk, DSO and I were out for a walk.  I have NEVER seen it like this before.  In every direction, the sky was filled with black clouds of millions bajillions of those pesky creatures.  Those that weren't flying high, were swarming around us.  And the noise!!!  I guess I would describe it as a humming buzzing sound.  We cut the walk short because it felt like we were in the Twilight Zone 😱

By last evening there weren't as many, but still lots of them.


On this morning's walk, they were still everywhere.  Keeping your mouth closed was a must!

Then there is my lilac bush.  It was huge and old when I moved here at the end of '99.  Super fragrant.  For the first time ever, I had no flowers in the spring and by September, it had lost all its leaves.  And now . . . 


I am just confused.  Obviously the lilac bush is, too.

And finally ~


Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs 😊
Lauren

7 comments:

NMK said...

That's a great comic !!! Very true too ....unfortunately .
Oh those clouds of bugs are awful !!! Hope they disappear soon !
Funny about your lilac blooming now !

Modrina Neba said...

A big Tuesday hug and kiss to you, Andreja with Ula!!!

Saundra said...

UGH! Couldn't believe that second photo with the huge amount of bugs. Are they in your hair when you return home? UGH again.

Julia said...

Wow!!! I remember that you posted about those insects before. What a blessings that they don't last long.
That cartoon image says it all.
Take care, I hope that the tiny black pest will be gone quickly.
Hugs,
Julia

Nancy said...

Yikes! Thank goodness they don't bite!!

Prims By The Water said...

WOW that looks worse than the fishflies and Mayflies we have here. Yes Mother Nature has not been a friend to any of my shrubs this year. Just crazy. That meme is so true. Janice

TheCrankyCrow said...

That is a CRAZY amount of bugs!!!!! YIKES! And you're cursed with them in the spring and fall? I guess somethings aren't so bad in Nod by comparison then. And absolutely bizarre about the lilac. Beautiful, but bizarre. My rhododendron didn't have a single bloom this spring and my lilacs were patchy and pathetic. But pretty sure they won't be blooming any time soon either LOL. Strange weather here...we had frost several nights and, yet today, it was in the low 70's. C'est la verite that meme.