Thursday, September 24, 2026

Holy moly!


I am back to cleaning my attic, a task started about a year and a half ago that fell to the wayside.  The things I have found are definitely a trip down memory lane.

Look at this!  It is a lock of my hair from my first real haircut, I'm guessing 1960 😁


I don't ever remember not having this Steiff lion.  I'm sure it was a gift from my dear Auntie Anne because my frugal mom would never have bought it.


Too bad I did not find this patriotic sampler before our Nation's 250th birthday.  It was a stamped piece I did before I discovered counted cross stitch many decades ago.  It will be displayed for our Nation's 251st.


I have sorted through countless swim, bowling, and wrestling plaques and trophies.  I just cannot throw away any that have my boys' names on them.  One day (hopefully in the distant future!), Bill and J will shake their heads and wonder what the heck was mom thinking in saving all of these.

1989.  Those little Speedos crack me up.  Good thing they don't read my blog.  They would not be happy campers swimmers.

Older son Bill was not quite 10.


Younger son J was 8.


And here they were last Thanksgiving.


Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs 😊
Lauren

10 comments:

Modrina Neba said...

wow, wonderful...i miss translate:)) Hug and kiss for Friday, Andreja!

Acorn Hollow said...

Take the plaques on the trophy with their names on them on put them on one piece of wood and ditch the trophy's or do what I did with dance trophy's and make a box and drop them off.
Cathy

Prims By The Water said...

I need to tackle my guest room. It is where I placed. boxes...tossed things of my mom's into until I go through them. It is a mess. I dont have an attic to store things anymore...maybe that's a good thing for me. LOL Seeing your boys that young sure did bring back memories for you...and am sure they would not have liked seeing their younger self here. Wow on finding your hair. Plus that stamped cross stitch will be a wonderful addition to next years celebration. I started out doing that in my teens. Janice

Saundra said...

Great treasures, particularly that patriotic stitchery. I think you should email those pictures to both boys. Bet they will get a laugh at themselves.

TheCrankyCrow said...

Awww....such sweet finds! Love each and every one. Those speedos crack me up. I proud to say my attic is completely clean and clear. (Only because it's nothing more than a tiny little crawl space that can't be accessed unless you're a monkey...and then you must be a short monkey if you're going to try to stand upright.) Now my basement (which is a labyrinth of rooms) and upstairs are different matters entirely.

Maureen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Maureen said...

Argh! I hate typos. What I meant to say was:
We have the same swim team picture of our oldest son, lol. Love your tiger and that’s a handsome( tiger) nope meant to write cross stitch.(although the tiger is a cutie) I can understand why this chore will be slow going. Such treasures to be found up there!

NMK said...

Both my son & daughter were on swim teams for years .....those speedos !!!! LOL .....swimming did keep my kids too tired to get into too much trouble , until their swim years ended !!!
Love your Tiger Steif !!! Cute sampler too . Fun to find happy memories !

marly said...

I was wondering the last few days how your son is doing. Been a while! I'm going to a pain clinic next month for my back and hope his is manageable. There are no treasures in my attic. I have three wood chairs that my grandmother had, never found a match for a fourth. And her china which is crazed, so pretty. I have mine packed and ready for a thrift store but none with take it. Doesn't sell! My friend has her moms crystal vases and such, can't recycle because of lead content, can't donate either. A shame.

Julia said...

I have no treasures in my attic either, and have a hard time getting attached to things in my past. I didn't even save my wedding dress, and used the crinoline to drape over the baby carriage to protect them from flies and mosquitos. lol...
My husband is the sentimental one and can't part with stuff from his younger years.
Let us know what the boys say about those old Speedos on Mom's blog. They sure were cute boys.
Hugs, Julia