Thursday, April 4, 2019

Not the Sharpest Knife in the Drawer ~



Yesterday should have been spent getting ready for the Ann Arbor, MI, hook in and the Sunday departure to rug camp.  Instead, what did I do?  I spent a good part of the day dyeing wool.  Seven dye pots.  My stove will accommodate only two at a time so it is time consuming.  The results were so-so.  The fraktur black that was wonderful a few weeks ago had mixed results.  Most of it turned out much too green.  In the warm red fraktur dye pot I used three different wools.  One came out great.  The other two, though good, were not what I was anticipating.  One too orange and one too pink.  Love the fraktur turquoise and another blue but can't remember which formula I used.  Fraktur mustard was a bust.  Too light so I added another half recipe.  Still too light so I added about a fourth cup of a brown that I already had mixed.  Good but not mustard :(  Antique tan was a success :)  All the dye formulas are from this book by Cathy Meyer.


Wools before ~



And after ~ the pictures are terrible but no matter what I try, I can't capture the true colors.



Really must get something done before heading to grandson's choir concert.

Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

16 comments:

Jacqueline said...

I have not really done any dying yet but love seeing your results. Have fun!

Mugwump Woolies said...

I think they look pretty good. :)
Robyn

Dirty Martini Queen said...

They may not have been your first choice in color but they do look good and I'm sure you'll put them to good use anyway.

Saundra said...

I think they look good, but that is the problem when you have a color in your mind. Then hardly anything will suit the dyer. I also have some of that hideous brown and cream check/plaid and yours turned out great.

marly said...

I would love to find a wool check. Not that I would do anything with it, I just like it. Searching.....

TheCrankyCrow said...

If I ever even more than THINK about dyeing wools, someone better break both my arms. It could only come to a very ugly end (and I am not talking colors). I think your colors turned out pretty well.... I really like those top couple of greenish ones in the first photo and that pumpkin oranges in the 2nd photo. Now you....go pack or make jewelry or needleminders or something... NOW!!!! ;-) (Saith the Procastination Queen)

acorn hollow said...

I think that dying for a certain project is very hard but to randomly dye and then use it is a better plan. I love the colors you came out with.
Cathy

Prims By The Water said...

No dying colors for me...I know it would all go wrong. I give you lots of credit for doing it. Janice

Julia said...

Sometimes, I find that I get different results when dyeing wool in the spring. The water chemistry seems different I think. Maybe that why you got different results from the recipes you used. I think you have some nice colors just the same although they were not exactly what you were looking for.
Enjoy your weekend of hooking. Hugs, Julia

WoolenSails said...

I never get the same results, each wool is a bit different and the dyes used to make them, also I have read that treatments can have an effect too, but fun to see how they turn out. I like the last batch, nice grungy look.

Debbie

Margaret said...

Looks good! I know nothing about dyeing. I bet it takes a long time! Have a great hooking weekend!

kelley said...

the wool looks good to me...I can't get a true color with my camera either, even outside...have a great weekend!

Jennie in GA said...

My dyeing never turns out to be what I expect, so I have given up on it. I do find, however, that I can generally find a use for it. One day till rug camp....hooray!!

Lori from Notforgotten Farm said...

I never have expectations when I dye wools ~ our well water is so weird here that colors & formulas never come out the same way twice!
love your muted tones....
L

Farm Girl said...

Well Lauren, I love those colors. I think that is my favorite thing about dyeing wool. It never turns out like I thought, ever, I think its me though, but it does scare me when I will never be able to match it. I really do like the colors though.
Have a fun time. You know sometimes I think, I just need to dye wool for therapy.
It always make my mind feel rested.
Have a great time at rug camp.

Larkrise garden girl said...

I think you did a wonderful job of dyeing . I need to get out my pots soon.