Saturday, April 27, 2019

Antigodlin ~


According to dictionary.com, antigodlin (or antigoglin) is an adjective meaning lopsided or at an angle, out of alignment, diagonal or cater cornered.  In rug hooking, it is also referred to as hooking higgledy piggledy, hickety pickety, or as I put it, messy.

Several readers were asking about my background on Antique Floral and the wools used.  I am using 2 as-is wools, one which is reversible, and one overdyed.  


I am hooking it antigodlin style.  I am still finding it a bit difficult to hook in this manner, but I must say I do love the look.



The back looks quite different from the way I normally hook, and it is not as smooth to the touch.  I wonder how it would wear on the floor in a high traffic area.


Got these pictures from Cindy Lou Who's mom.  Here's Cindy soaking up some sun.  It's so nice they have a fenced yard so she can run (or sleep) free.


Isn't this just too sweet?  I am so happy she has a puggle sister to snuggle up to.  Cindy is in the front and Molly is behind her.


Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

11 comments:

Julia said...

I have tried this technique before and find it takes a bit of getting used to but I like the look. I learned that technique from April DeConick.

Your rug is looking amazing. You've got a lot done on it.

Cindy Lou is living the life. It looks like she is Dog Heaven on earth. Enjoy your weekend.
Hugs, Julia

Vicki said...

Lauren, I LOVE the background of your rug! I have used the reversible wool for a background but have never mixed it with another wool. I have tried to hook higgledy piggledy but struggle with it. :/ Do you mark off your background into sections and then randomly hook the sections with the two different wools?

Saundra said...

Your rug is gorgeous. I've done that style and it is a pain to do and as you say, rough to the touch in the back. Sometimes the 'puzzle piece' effect works too which ends up looking very similar from the front but doesn't seem as difficult to do.

So happy for Cindy Lou, after her health issues and while being a mom it is time she enjoyed life.

marly said...

I LOVE what you call messy. Those colors are striking.

So glad CLW has a pal and a fenced yard. She looks like she feels so safe and secure.

Jacqueline said...

Thanks for showing the wools and he back of your work. It sure helps to see these things. I really like the rug.
Ahh a dogs life!

Jennie in GA said...

Between those wonderful wools and the technique you are using, that is a gorgeous background. I have done antigodlin, but it is like trying to retire the brain. You have done a great job. You will be done with that rug in no time!!
Love the sweet pics of Cindy Lou....so glad that she is happy!

NMK said...

I just Love this rug & the colors you are using ….so pretty & prim !!!

WoolenSails said...

I love how the background looks and I do use that style when doing darks, gives it such a nice change of colors with movement.

Debbie

acorn hollow said...

I love that background Lauren!
So good to see pictures of the pugs once they are in their forever homes.
Cathy

Prims By The Water said...

Lauren your rug is amazingly beautiful! Cindy Lou looks fabulous in her new home. It must make you proud that you took care of her for her furever family!!! Janice

TheCrankyCrow said...

Well, well, well....I learned a new word to love....I just used to call it kittywampus LOL.... But dang...I absolutely LOVE that background and the entire rug... I guess I have never ever hooked like that....I’ve mixed colors randomly, but not to the point where it alters the actual hooking (i.e., and makes the back look different). Another thing to try....that is, if I struggle through the horizontal hooking in the cat rug I started and am hoping to pick up...again...sometime...maybe soon?? Ahhhh....sweet, sweet, CLW....I hope she soaks up every single drop of sunshine and love she can...she is so, so, deserving.... ~Robin~