Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Such Talent ~


Well, here I am back blogging on my desktop.  I must try to figure out (I mean I hope DSO can figure out . . . ) how to resize the pictures when I blog on my iPad.  They are just too big.  I hate being technologically challenged :(

The ladies I met on Edisto Island are some of the most talented women I have ever met.  All are quilters.  Between them, they  hook, embroider, spin, knit, crochet and more.  

Julia, our hostess with the mostess, is a quilter extraordinaire.  This is a crazy quilt she has on a quilt rack in her living room.


If my memory serves me correctly, she said her friend Cathy painted the cat.


A quilt being made of men's ties.  Cathy is also making one but I did not get a picture.  Julia said they have bought hundreds of silk ties, no two being alike.




Julia gave us a crash course in yo yo making.  This is in a 4" x 6" frame, so you know the yo yos are TINY!


For reasons unknown to me, My iPhone will not download the picture of the quilt hanging over over Julia's couch.  Two years in the making, it was totally hand quilted.

Two of Jennie's rugs.  The first, a pattern by Cathy Stephan, Red Barn rugs, was bound as we visited.


I believe this is a rug from Caraway rug camp.


Cathy, Julia's friend, contemplating her quilt top.


So many little, WONDERFUL stitches.  I believe she said this was to top a KING size bed.




Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

14 comments:

Jacqueline said...

It is always inspiring to see other people's talent. Thanks for sharing.

acorn hollow said...

wow amazing! I am going looking for silk ties the dye class in this months rug hooking looked wonderful using them.
Cathy

Saundra said...

Absolutely gorgeous quilts but way too tedious for me. Jenny's rug is beautiful and she quilts beautifully as well.

So when you say learn how to reduce photos for your blog, will you be doing that on your iPad or your iPhone? If pictures were taken with your iPad wouldn't the photos adjust to your blog? Which means, I guess, you wouldn't be using the iPad?

NMK said...

Oh my gosh , those quilts were amazing !!! That would take me a life time to do !!! WOW !!!!

Farm Girl said...

Wow so much talent and what fun you must have had. I love the rugs too.
Such pretty quilts.

Jennie in GA said...

We had so much fun. A bunch of kindred souls. We must do it again.

kcmrugs@gmail.com said...

What talent! Isn’t it inspiring to artists when they visit together!?
Sheepunderfeet

Prims By The Water said...

What gorgeous quilts. I can only imagine the time it took to make. Janice

WoolenSails said...

Beautiful crazy quilts and beautiful work in them, just gorgeous.

Debbie

TheCrankyCrow said...

Happy, Happy, Birthday Sweetpea!! Hope the day was good to you. And, wow...I am in absolute AWE!!!! Those crazy quilts are absolutely AMAZING! I am with NMK....it would take me a lifetime (or more likely, several).... I have a small lap crazy quilt that my great grandmother made from old silk ties. I don’t have it displayed anymore as some of the silks were starting to detoriate, but I treasure having some of her beautiful feather stitching. But it’s not as elaborate as these.... When I saw that “red ware” rug, I knew right away it was Cathy’s LOL.... Love it!! Beautiful talent in that group of yours....and you have certainly earned a rightful place in it! Birthday Hugs ~ Robin

Julia said...

Sorry I'm late to wish you HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY dear Lauren. I hope it was a good one.
Your friends are so talented. Wow, so much tedious work. I would try to make a pillow with silk ties but I doubt I would attempt to make a big quilt.

When I had difficulty to download photos from my cell phone, I used my Canon camera to take the photo of the photo on my iPhone. it was not the same quality but at least I could share the photos on my blog.
Have a great day. I hope it's sunny and warm there too.
Hugs, Julia

Patti said...

Oh my goodness gracious! Each and every one is stunning!
Blessings, Patti

Margaret said...

WOW! Just wow!

CARLOTTIA said...

I FEEL LILKE]I KNOW YOU. JULIA TOLD ME ABOUT THE VISIT YOU, JENNI AND CATHY HAD. YOUR RIGHT, SHE IS THE GREATEST HOSTESS YOU HAVE SEEN AND GLAD YOU HAD A GOOD TIME. WHEN JUDY TOLD ME YOU WERE THE LAUREN WITH RUGS AND PUGS, IT RANG A BELL. I HAVE ENJOYED YOUR POST ON RUGS AND PUGS HAVE A WONDERFUL EVEING. CARLOTTIA