Thursday, March 21, 2019

Happy Second Day of Spring ~



Sweetgrass baskets were found throughout Charleston and the surrounding areas.  Coiled basketry, one of the oldest African crafts in America, appeared in South Carolina during the late 17th century.  The first known baskets in the Lowcountry were fanner baskets used for winnowing rice.  Bulrush, palmetto fronds and pine needles are the mainstays of coiled basketry.

Booths set up at the Old Slave Mart.  Baskets I saw ranged in price from about $15 to $3500 depending on the complexity of the weaving and size.  



Most booths also sold roses made from palmetto fronds.  Here a vendor is making them.  As the fronds dry, they will change color.





This is Laurie from whom I bought 3 small baskets.  The weaving is a family affair.  She says her husband and son also weave the baskets, but do not like doing the small ones.  Somehow I just can't picture either of my sons weaving baskets . . . lol :)


The smallest is only 2 1/2" in diameter.



The sweetest little quilt block from Jennie.  It measures a mere 3 1/2" x 4 3/4".  She does English paper piecing and I think this was made that way.  Thanks, Jennie. 


A couple treasures found at an antique shop.  I just couldn't come home empty handed :)


I just love this oyster shell angel.  I brought home a large bag of oyster shells I gathered on the beach and hope to make some of these.  


Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

11 comments:

Mugwump Woolies said...

I love Charleston! I bought a basket from this very market the last time we were there. We stayed at Charleston Place and could see the market from our balcony. Great idea for oyster shells...a fun project that I bet my Annie would love! The crazy quilts from your last post are unbelievable...so gorgeous! I had a beautiful Victorian crazy quilt that somehow ended up being tossed out by mistake the last time we moved. I still grieve...it belonged to my grandmother. Glad you had a fun time!
Robyn

NMK said...

I have my Great Grand Father's shoe that has been cast in copper ….I need to make it a pin cushion after seeing your pretty shoe !!! Can't imagine making baskets from pine needles !!! They are charming !

acorn hollow said...

I have an oyster shell from Maine with a hand painted santa face on it.
Good finds wonderful baskets
Cathy

WoolenSails said...

Wonderful goodies and always fun to shop in a new area for local hand mades.
I have gotten rusty wire, that would be fun to work with too, for the angels.

Debbie

Jennie in GA said...

Great historical research on those baskets we sought out!!

Julia said...

I love those little baskets that you bought and I love those roses too. I've never seen baskets made like those before.
The small shoe and small scissors are good finds too. You never know what you'll find in your travels.
Take care, hugs, Julia

Prims By The Water said...

Interesting history about the baskets. Sweet lil quilt! Janice

Patti said...

Thanks for sharing! I love it all!
Blessings, Patti

Farm Girl said...

Such a lovely visit. I love those baskets. I love your treasures too. Thank you for sharing.

TheCrankyCrow said...

Love the history about the baskets....and the baskets. Cathy (from Red Barn Rugs)’s mother-in-law is from the Carolinas I believe...and she makes the most amazing pine needle baskets I have ever seen. Love the little quilt square....I used to do a little paper piecing, but probably wouldn’t remember how at this point LOL. LOVE that shoe pincushion.... I have a thing for shoes (as I know you know) and pincushions, so a shoe pincushion is a double yay for me.... I have one very similar...but yours is nicer.... Hope the day was good to you. ~ET~

Merry Wind Farm said...

I would love to go to Charleston. With my love of old houses, I bet it is right up my alley!
Melinda