Thursday, August 2, 2018

A Clarification ~


On my last post I reported that I was two worms short of finishing.  I just meant that I hadn't brought enough cut wool with me on the trip.  Lots more dark worms at home.  Janice wanted to know what I would do to resolve the problem.  I would find a similar wool to use and take out random worms throughout the area and add the new ones in to balance it out.  Make any sense?
 
I couldn't decide what border I wanted on Maple Sugar Hearts.  First I was going to hook it as shown in the book.  I tried with a 9 cut and then an 8 1/2, but it just seemed too much for the rug where the heart area is only 5 1/4" wide.  This pic shows a pretty good representation of the color.

 
I will never understand the difference in digital photos.  This picture is so washed out.  I opted for a simple border with one row of red and three rows of black hooked in an 8 1/2 cut.

 
I got about half the binding done (yippee) on the way to and from the vet appointment (about 2 hours car time) for Ernestine's annual checkup.  I'm happy to report that she is doing great.

 
OK.  This is not for those who are afraid of snakes :)  In the yard yesterday, this guy was sunning himself on the spiderwort.  He slithered away after I snapped a couple pics.  Spiderwort is taking over my gardens.  It is so pretty early in the season then gets really ugly, starts turning brown and falls over.  I have been cutting some of it but really need to dig it out.   
 
Last week at the Crooked River Rug Hookers guild meeting, we celebrated Christmas in July, complete with a decorated Christmas tree thanks to guild president Heidi.  There was a mat exchange if you wished to participate.  This is the mat I received.  Very cool!  CRRH for the name of our guild and ATHA (Association of Traditional Rug Hooking)  for our affiliation.  I love the red, white and blue.  Thanks, Patty Cassidy :)

 
Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

13 comments:

WoolenSails said...

I like how you did the borders, looks nice having the reds as a first border. Nice rug in your swap, sounds like fun.
I haven't seen any snakes this year, but I haven't lifted anything lately, lol.

Debbie

Prims By The Water said...

Thanks for the clarification Lauren. makes sense now. I like the border exactly how you finished it. Not so busy. I have Spiderwort and it has never taken over...sometimes I wish it would as the bluish purple flowers are so pretty in the morning. Our Queen snake has not been around this year. It has been here every year since I moved here...but not this year. I think it died...but we still have plenty of fox snakes in the back yard who like to go into the garage at times. Janice

denise said...

your rug is beautiful!

acorn hollow said...

love the rug you finished very sweet. I hate snakes and spiderwort I am digging it out and throwing it in garbage it is ugly as sin. We are in the heat again and I am so over it.
nice swap mat. Glad to hear your pug baby is doing well.
Cathy

Saundra said...

I've had to manipulate backgrounds before and did exactly as you described. Not even I can tell where the odd pieces were hooked. Makes me want to hook some hearts.
I'd have taken a photo of the sunning snake too, they don't bother me at all.

Julia said...

I like the simple border too. Your heart mat looks great and so does the exchange mat. I'm glad Elsie is doing great.

I never used to be afraid of garter snakes as a kid but I'm not sure what I would do if I saw one now. I haven't seen any in ages probably because of all the flooding in this area. I never had spiderwort but I had to get rid of my pretty Bugleweeds as they are very invasive, even on the lawn.
Stay cool and safe.
Hugs, Julia
.

NMK said...

I skipped over the picture of the snake ...Ha !!! I Love your color choices for the pretty heart rug !!!

Farm Girl said...

Hi Lauren,
Cool snake. I am afraid I would have run from there, well I would have taken pictures first too,
Your rug turned out so nice. I had fits with that rug trying to do the background. I don't know why. Yours turned out so much better than mine.

How fun to be in a group with other rug hookers. Here I am in the middle of the state and the guilds are at least two hours away or more.
I hope you have a lovely weekend.

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Hi Lauren,
I absolutely LOVE your heart rug!!! It is right up my alley as you know I LOVE HEARTS!! Lovely job and I like the colors and border!! I have long admired that pattern and may have to hook it sometime!!! YIKES!!! I am NOT a fan of snakes and would be running in the opposite direction if I saw that!!!
So nice to be part of a group of women who love what you do and then get a special gift as well!!! I'm sure whoever got your rug will treasure it, too!!
Take care and hope you have a lovely weekend!! So happy to hear that Ernestine is doing well!
Big Heart Hugs~
Julie xo
P.S. Thanks for your sweet emails, too!!! xoxoxo

marly said...

Your border is better. Just my non-hooker opinion.

kelley said...

I like the simpler border...not so much the snake...

Three Sheep Studio said...

Your rug is lovely with all the different shades of hearts !
I dug out all my spiderwort - it didn’t turn brown but always fell over, blooms and all.
Nice snake !
Rose

moosecraft said...

Your exchange mat is wonderful! What a creative design!
Love your heart mat too! You really are inspiring me to pick up my hook again! :-)
You're lucky that you know the difference between a friendly snake and a mean one! lol! :-)