Sunday, February 25, 2018

Senior Discount ~


Maybe I live under a rock and you all know this.  If you are 55 or older (yes, 55 is considered a senior . . . lol), you can get 10% off your total order including sale items (there are exclusions) when you shop in store at Michaels.  Read about it here.  Just ask for it at checkout.  Now I am kind of ticked because over the last ten years I could have saved a boatload of $$.  Never once was I asked (and it's not because I don't look my age . . . sigh) if I'd like the discount.  One must ask.
 
My camp rug is bound.  Finished size is 24" x 34".  I must say, I do love it.  I made a label but forgot one bit of information so I will need to make another.  A goal of mine is to get some of my rugs labeled.  I am years behind :(
 
 
Bound with wool used in the background.


It is my new favorite wool for a dark background.  More a dark grey but blends well with other dark/blackish wool.  The wool is also slightly reversible.  It is called Moon Shadows from Heavens to Betsy and it is currently on her website.
 
 
I have been cross stitching.  This sampler was started at least 25 years ago.  I guess it's time to work on it.  This is how I left it so many years ago.  I will tone down the linen a bit when I am done.

 
Progress I have made stitching a little each day.  I use the stab method (as opposed to the sewing method) so I am pretty slow.


Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren 

14 comments:

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Thank you for sharing about the senior discount from Michaels--I did not know this and yes, I also could have been saving money. Your stitching is beautiful

Jacqueline said...

Thanks for the info about the discount. I didn't know about it. Your rug is stunning

NMK said...

Wow !!! Wish I knew Michael's offered that too !!! Why the big secret ??? Love your rug ! Cross Stitch & my eyes don't get along anymore :-(

Saundra said...

Love your rug and I also have some Moon Shadows but bet after your talking about it here Betsy will be out of it. Hmmmm, maybe I should order more, lol.

Julia said...

It's so kind of you to let the senior discount secret out. I rarely buy craft supplies at Michael's because I find that they are very pricy even when items are on sale with and secondly I haven't done any crafts other than rug hooking and a little knitting. Here in Canada, anything that comes from the US is very expensive especially with our dollar being so low.

Your rug is beautiful and also that sampler.
I love that you use wool to bind the rug. I used wool to bind the irregular edge on my Childhood Memory rugs a while back and found it a lot easier than the regular binding tape.

Hugs, Julia

acorn hollow said...

I think i have been in Michael's once in my life we just don't have one near us and I went into a hobby lobby and was so over whelmed I walked around in a daze and left.
love your pieces.
Cathy

Jennie in GA said...

Thanks for the Micheal’s tip. May I ask you how you finish off your corners? Do you stitch each side with a separate piece of wool and overlap? Whatever, it looks great...a beautiful finish. I love to cross stitch, but even with glasses, generally use a magnifier. You are making good progress on this nice piece!

Prims By The Water said...

I go to Michael's all of the time and never kne! Janicew that....and have gray hair now...geez. Thanks for letting us know. Love your rug

marly said...

Great rug and love the binding. I go to Michael's with the 40% off coupon in hand and drag my husband in with a coupon in his hand. Same with HL. But I don't buy much or often.

Little Julie said...

I had no idea about the Michael's discount, wish I had!! I'm amazed at how many beautiful things you manage to complete. I have a question, being a multiple Pug owner as well. How do you ever keep the always shedding Pug hair off you & your wool? It seems to just constantly float around, sticking to me & everything I go near, despite dusting & vacuuming often.

elaine allerton said...

I am in canada,, but next time I go in , will ask for sure,,,, wow,,,
Love ur mat so much,,, something about vases of pots of flowers , always appeal to me,,, neat edging,,,,
Cross stitch,,, wow,,, lovely,,, may start again,,,♡♡

denise said...

next time i go to Michael's i'm asking for the discount

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Hi Lauren,
Thanks for the tip about Michael's! Your rug is just wonderful!! LOVE that Moonshadows wool, too! You are a woman of many talents and your cross stitch piece is lovely!! I keep telling myself I need to try my hand at it again, but seems my hands are already too busy with so many other projects!! One of these days!!
Hope you have a wonderful week, my friend!
Heart Hugs~
Julie

Farm Girl said...

Lauren please tell me what is the stab method vs the sewing method. I have never heard of this before. You know so much about sewing. I always learn so much from you. I love that background too. I didn't know that about Michaels. I am going to do it next time I go in. Have a great week.