Sunday, June 26, 2016

Hooks Like Butter ~



I have one of these Uncle Sam banks somewhere in the attic.  Not antique but I've probably had it for forty years :)

I'm sure you've heard that some wool hooks like butter ~ just passes so easily through your backing.  This wool truly ranks as one of the best.  It's either Betsy's or Rebecca's.  I'm not good at remembering whose wool it is. 


I'm using it for the background of this little fall mat.  It just makes for a nice, subtle background.  In person, I'm not sure if there is enough contrast between the background and the sunflower stem and the sunflower doesn't seem to stand out as much either.  I think I need to get some opinions at hooking tomorrow evening.  My goal is to finish the background this evening which shouldn't take long at all since the overall size is only 9 1/2" x 11 1/2".


I proddied the sunflower petals.


My hook's been smokin' this weekend.  I finished hooking all my sunflowers.  Now the not so fun part of "finishing" them.  These measure about 8-9" across including the petals.  Some of them have a single row of proddy and some a double.  And, BTW, I still haven't found my proddy hook after a couple years or more.  I refuse to buy another one because they aren't cheap and I know as soon as I'd buy one, I will then find it.


These two measure about 6 1/2" in diameter.


I should be out cutting grass and working in the yard, but there are still some of those dang bugs and I just can't deal with them.  Darn that the weekend is almost over.  At least next weekend will be a three day :)

Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

16 comments:

NMK said...

Love your colors , what beautiful wool to use for fall ..... Your sun flowers look so neat !

WoolenSails said...

That makes a nice background, think I have some of that in my stash.

Debbie

denise said...

Love!!!😍

acorn hollow said...

I haven't picked up a hook but look at you go with your great pieces.
Cathy

Kim said...

I think that is a Betsy wool. I am pretty sure I had some. Love the way it looks too.

Cammie said...

Love your little mat!! I think the stem and flower stand out just fine. Although quite a few of my rugs are low contrast, just the way I like them!!
~Cammie

Three Sheep Studio said...

Love your pumpkin mat. The wool you are using for the background is really beautiful, such a great mix of colors when hooked.
Hope you find your Proddy hook ! Your sunflowers are so cheerful !
Rose

Jennie in GA said...

Really cute mat. I agree, I see enough contrast in the stem and sunflower. Temps here in the high 90s and humid. No yard work .

kelley said...

I know just what you mean about not buying another proddy hook...Debbie sent me one and it's lost amongst my stash...this is perfect weather to stay in and hooks...even if there are no monster bugs here...

Saundra said...

Such wonderful warm colors; love that background and wish I had some but have so much wool can't stand the thought of buying more. Heck, there's always wool that I want. I can see the stem and think it is okay.

From Sherry's Heart said...

YOUR proddy tool must be out runnin' around somewhere with MY proddy tool!!! Had it for I guess 2 or 3 years and never used it. BUT I knew where it was!!! Now since some others packed when I moved I don't have a clue WHERE it is.

Farm Girl said...

I love your sunflowers!! I do hope you find your proddy tool someday. I am so glad you mentioned that wool and how it glides like butter. I have always wondered if I was just nuts because I have wool that is so nice to hook with and others that make my hand hurt. So it is true. :)
Yes, three day work weeks are so nice.

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Hi Lauren,
The bank is so wonderful!! Nice that you have one, even if it isn't old!!! Your sunflowers a so happy and I agree that the stem stands out just fine! Hope you can find that tool, too!! When did you use it last? Perhaps if you can recall what you last used it for, it will remind you of where you put it! I do that sometimes and am amazed when I find it and wonder what was I thinking??? Good luck!
I think you made the right decision between being outside with the bugs and being inside with your hook!!
Enjoy your week!
Warm Hugs~
Julie

Jacqueline said...

It would appear that you don't really need that proddy tool. Your work is beautiful.
I think there is enough contrast between the bg and stems.

woolwoman said...

your sunflowers are so awesome Lauren! Being mostly a hand dyed wool snob - I don't think of plaids for backgrounds but I sure do like the one you showed. really cool and I think the stem shows - I would say take a 3 cut bright green and run it along each side of the stem but I know that suggestion falls on deaf ears LOL ! Heck - you probably don't even own a 3 blade but you could cut a 9 in 3 pieces you know :) love ya Mel

Larkrise garden girl said...

I wish my sunflowers looked as good as your rug.