Thursday, July 31, 2014

Penny Rugs ~

 
I needed a portable craft to work on on the way to Chicago.  I can't cross stitch in the car (no Ott light) and I didn't have a punch needle project in mind, so after reading Cee's blog and watching her You Tube videos (they are WONDERFUL), I decided to make a penny rug.  She is so sweet and willing to share her knowledge.  I emailed her a couple times, and she quickly responded.  I've done a little wool applique, but not an actual penny rug.  She is offering kits, but I didn't have time to order, so I got out the dye pot and added small pieces of many wools.  I also dyed some lightweight twine I had, but it ended up being just a bit to thick for my liking, so I bought some #3 crochet cotton thread, dyed it and it is working well.  Louise over at Dogwood Farm has already received her kit and is nearly done.  The dye formula is from this book.

 
I am not dyeing for a certain color, just to have all the colors blend well together.  It is #85 - Emma Lou's putty (old).
 
One thing I didn't factor in to the equation was this . . . sweet Loocie who sat on my lap for 99% of the trip.  Needless to say, not one penny was stitched. 
 

{{Loocie is my houseguest for a few days.  She normally stays with daddy (aka DSO), but he is off to the big airplane extravaganza in Oshkosh, WI.}}
 
I have made a little . . . very little progress.  My pennies are larger than Cee's, and unlike Cee, I am stitching the two pennies together first. 

  
I'll keep you posted on my progress.  I still don't have anything on the hooking frame and am beginning to have symptoms of withdrawal.  Like Bobbie posted on her blog, I also have a case of TMPTLT ~ too many projects, too little time.

After being disconnected a number of times and spending more hours on the phone with my ISP, I am still having email problems.  Everyone I talk with has a different reason excuse for my issues.  I just wish it would be resolved.  I am a patient person, but my patience is wearing thin.  I just can't bear to call them tonight, so that is on my list for tomorrow.
 
I drink more of this than I care to admit (I don't drink coffee).

 
My niece was excited to find this.  How fun.

 
 
Thanks so much for stopping by.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren
 

12 comments:

Mugwump Woolies said...

I have way too many unfinished projects but could not resist ordering one of Cee's kits. I've never tired a penny rug...time to learn something new. Can't wait to see your progress!
p.s.That sweet little ginger fellow of yours is really growing up!
Robyn

WoolenSails said...

That is always my go to book for dying, has the best colors and always gives a nice look to the rugs.

Debbie

Margaret said...

OMG, Loocie is soooo cute!!! Worth the not getting any penny rug stitching done for sure! I want to start a wool project sometime. Love penny rugs.

Margs Primitive Quilts said...

I should look into that book for dying wools! Your pennies are coming along nicely Lauren.
Hugs Marg.

Farm Girl said...

I watched Cee's videos today. They are wonderful. Your pennies look nice and I thought the same thing, I would love a portable project. I learned so many things watching her today. I hope to buy a kit from her.
I love that picture of your darling girl. She has the sweetest face. That soda bottle is too cute,

The Eveningstitcher said...

Very cool Coke bottle! I love the little candle mats....Cee's videos are so good! Your penny's look great! I stitch them the same way....before I put them on the mat. That little pug is adorable!

moosecraft said...

Loocie is such a cutie pie! Who could resist? How cool is that Lauren Diet Coke bottle? lol! I watched Cee's video yesterday and I'm looking forward to stitching on a penny mug... I just might get around to ordering a kit soon... after I work on some more stash projects...

Dogwood Farm said...

What a sweet little girl she is!!!
You're off to a great start with your penny mat and I like the antique wash you have given your wool. Love this dye book!
What a hoot to see your name on the coke bottle!
xo

Julia said...

You penny rug is a perfect to bring along. It looks like a lot of fun to do.That Oh my goodness, that Loocie is just too cute.

See what happens when you drink Diet Coke... they put your name on the bottle so you buy more. lol...
I can't drink anything with Aspertam. For some unknown reason, it leaves an after taste in my mouth that I just can't handle. Congratulations on being featured on the Diet Coke bottle. How cool is that.

Enjoy your trip.
Hugs,
JB

Saundra said...

No wonder you didn't get much penny rugging done, I'd have smooched all the way there with that cutie pie. When I did my few penny rugs I also stitched the top two pennies together, makes more sense to me.

Saundra

Raymond Homestead said...

Loocie is so darn cute, I just want to give her a big hug!

Primitive Stars said...

What a sweet face, love her....