Monday, July 22, 2013

Back to Reality ~


My weekend getaway passed all too quickly.  It's always good to get away, but also good to get home.
This is Tallmadge Road Mercantile in Clayton, Ohio, a great primitive shop of 24 dealers.  Just as we were leaving a storm was rolling in.


My only purchase beside an old spool of white string (which I will use) is this little addition to my flock.  There were a few other items I considered and now am sorry I did not buy them. I guess that will be my excuse to head back down there sooner rather than later.


On the right is my dear friend Wink.  Can you believe we actually met in Spain MANY summers ago?  I was an undergrad student taking classes in Madrid and she was in the master's program. That's Melinda of Merry Wind Farm on the left. We've only met twice but it seems like I've know her forever, too :)  She lives in the most wonderful home, the earliest part built in 1804, I believe.  


Melinda is an incredible cross stitcher, rug hooker, seamstress, gardener. Her work is perfection and I was gifted this absolutely wonderful pin keep. Lucky me!!!  It is beautiful.  


Many years ago as a joke, I started Wink a salt and pepper collection.  The criteria for purchasing a pair was that they had to be cheap and tacky. You can read about it here.  In retaliation, she started me a shot glass collection.  Not just any old shot glass, but ones that were souvenirs of states.  This time I was gifted with Montana and Colorado.


She also gave me a little porcelain pot to add to my small collection.  I believe they are mostly English, and tooth powder, cold cream and the likes came in them.  


Two of Wink's grandbabies came to visit before I headed home on Sunday.  Savanah and Clayton are just a couple of cuties who are lucky to have such a sweet grandma!


Thanks so much for stopping by.  In my next post, I will share Wink's incredible coverlet collection.

Pug hugs :)
Lauren


14 comments:

The Wool Cupboard said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend away, Lauren! A break in the everyday routine can really benefit your outlook...glad you had fun and found some treasures!
Hugs,
Linda

Earlene said...

Fun times ladies!!
How far is that from Toledo?

Earlene

Primitive Stars said...

Morning Lauren, what a wonderful weekend and sweet friend....I follow her blog, yes, such a lovely house she lives in, very nice lady, Blessings Francine.....

Raymond Homestead said...

Sounds like you had a great time! Good pictures!

Jacqueline said...

That is a little bit of a road trip to go back to satisfy your buyers regret. LOL

Glad you had a nice time. It is always wonderful to visit friends and shop.

HomeSpunPrims said...

What a wonderful time shopping and time spent with friends. Love the cross stitch make~do and the little sheep you purchased. I would love to get more for my collection too. Thanks for sharing. Hugs, Lori

Saundra P said...

That was a funny story about the collections you and Wink started. And the pin keep Melinda gifted you is beautiful, lucky you.

Saundra

Julia said...

How fun to be with old time friends and catch up on the past. I'm glad that you did get away even if it was only for a short time. Nice meeting your good friends Melinda and Wink.
I think that's a cute little sheep.

I love the story about the salt and pepper and shot glass collections. The collections that binds good friends, lol...

I hope that your week is fun too.
Hugs,
JB

Holly Hills Primitives said...

I've been wanting to go to Tallmadge Ridge for a long time. Were there lots of prims? Thanks for introducing us to your friends, Dawn

Farm Girl said...

What a nice time. I love the collections you have started for each other. My boys would love that shot glass collection. That is great. How nice to have such good friends.
I can't wait to read your next post.

Ann said...

What fun you had! I'm envious of a girls' weekend. Your shot glass/salt & pepper collections are pretty funny!!!

I LOVE Madrid - didn't know we had that in common. Would love to go back one day. ~Ann

prims by olde lady morgan said...

The best visits always send us back to reality too soon, but it's always good to get away! OLM

Michelle~Sugar House Creations said...

I will have to look up Clayton, Ohio. So many places in this state I haven't ever heard of. Wink sure does have cute grandbabies. :-)

Kim said...

A girly weekend is always good for the soul. A little shopping and laughing to recharge with an old friend!