Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Around the Yard ~

No, this picture is not from my yard {only in my dreams}, though I do live only two blocks from Lake Erie. This was taken from the restaurant overlooking the marina where I had dinner last evening. My little camera just did not capture the beauty of the setting sun. It was the most brilliant orange ball that you could imagine.
The most recent antique show I attended was a real bust :( Probably 20% of the vendors were selling jewelry, something I normally don't even look at. I am not a jewelry person and always wear the same few pieces. For whatever reason I looked in one booth and found a really neat silver ring with what may be my birthstone, so for a mere $12.00 I bought it. I tried, but could not get a clear picture of it.
In addition to the ring, I bought a tomato red coneflower. I had never seen one before, so I had to have it. If I get a good flower, I will show that at a later date.
This was my big splurge. The most wonderful sprinkler. If my friend Belinda hadn't egged me on {she bought one last year}, I probably would not have bought one. Because I normally don't water the lawn, my water bill will probably spike. It turns and shoots out the most beautiful pattern of water. It is made of copper and I sure hope no one steals it!!!
Around the yard....south side of the house.
My little water fountain normally has a few goldfish. This year, I killed about a dozen of them so my fountain is fish free. It does not get much sun and plants generally do not do well. Sunday I was visiting a friend who had a large water garden filled with water hyacinths, so she gave me a few. Hopefully they will look good for a bit.
This is on the north corner of my house. For years I have had stella d'oro daylilies in this corner and they never did well because they did not get enough sun. Finally today I stopped at Home Depot on the way home from work and got a few hostas. I'm sure next year they won't look so forlorn. That's my little frog hut. It still hasn't grown any moss though I water it at least once a day.
That's it for the ten cent garden tour today.
Thank you so much for dropping by and please come again soon.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

7 comments:

Cathy G. said...

That's really a neat sprinkler! It's so relaxing to watch the water patterns from one like that! Your yard looks so pretty! I'd say all your plants are doing marvelous! A red coneflower! Wow, I'll have to see if I can find one of those here! I love coneflowers!
Cathy G

moosecraft said...

You have a beautiful yard and garden! I love that wheelbarrow and the windmill! Very nice! That sprinkler is neat!

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

Love your new art piece!!! It's a good friend who encourages you to buy something you really love!!! I hear putting yogurt on that frog hut will encourage moss ~ maybe mixing it with a little other moss and smearing it all over. I think that's a Martha Stewart tip!! It won't hurt to try it!

Kim said...

Your yard looks lovely. That sprinkler is HOT! Definately a good buy. Does your frog hut have any little residents? I should buy one. I love frogs.

Kathy (woolfind) said...

the sprinkler is a great addition to your beautiful yard. Always love the pic's you post. Very pretty. I'm sure that sunset was breathtaking in person.

Lisa said...

The lake photo is beautiful! Growing up on the lake is awesome and I miss it so much. Every so often we will drive down Lake Rd. just to get that 'feel good' vibe again. Thanks for sharing and the sprinkler is wonderful too.
Hope to see you soon.

Tamera's Craft Palace said...

Lauren i loved your garden tour!! Red coneflower, eh? I LOVE coneflowers so i need to check that out.
Gardening here in MD has been dismal--major HEAT wave and no rain. My gardens are pitiful-i can't water them enough. The grass is an attractive shade of crispy brown!