Monday, August 10, 2009

How I became a hooker...

Over twenty (yes 20!) years ago, I signed up for a rug hooking class. I believe it was maybe four classes. None of the pattern choices really caught my eye, but I did chose a quilt star, if my memory serves me correctly. I swear we were hooking with spaghetti and I hated every loop I pulled. It ended up in the craft closet for the next decade and when I was packing up to move ten years ago, I think I threw it all away ~ frame, hook and project ~ because I had no intention of ever picking up a hook again.
Fast forward to late 2004. On ebay, I began to discover primitive rug hooking. I found a local teacher and signed up for a class. Unfortunately, the class was cancelled, but I figured "What the heck. I can teach myself." and so I turned to my best friend ebay and began to purchase hooking supplies. Luckily, I did purchase a Hartman hook from the teacher, but everything else was bought on ebay. I bought some linen (that I still buy to this day). I bought a frame, only to discover that the frame would not hold the linen taut. I didn't have a cutter, so I bought pre-cut wool strips. And I bought some more ~ and more ~ and more. (Get the picture?) Thankfully I never kept track of what I spent or I may have gone into cardiac arrest! I bought so many unbelievably poor quality strips, not knowing any better.
I drew out my first pattern ~ a small mat. I chose my colors. I'll never understand the ugly colors I chose ~ NEVER! So I began to hook. WOW! It was much more difficult and awkward than I thought it would be. Here is that first mat.
I still display it on a table in my living room ~ as a reminder of how far I have come!
My second attempt was much more pleasing to the eye.
I didn't hook it for the stool, but it's a perfect fit.
This is mat #3. Sorry it's a little blurry, but the colors were just totally wrong
taking it with a flash.
Most of the things I have hooked have been small rug/mats. I guess since I hook so slowly, I needed to feel as if I could accomplish something. Last fall I hooked a 13 x 25" Woolley Fox pattern and currently I am still working on my cat rug that is about 20 x 32". I'll post an update of that soon.
Thank you for dropping by.
I hope your week is off to a great start.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

3 comments:

The Wool Cupboard said...

Lauren - Your story is so similar to mine! I took a 4 session class (for which I drove over an hour each way). It was my first experience with rug hooking. When it came time to choose my project to hook, I couldn't find one single pattern in her whole group that I liked. They were all very fine cut and not at all primitive. I never did finish that project! Love your pictures of your early rugs.

Rugs and Pugs said...

Linda ~ How funny! We have so much in common. One day we must meet!
Pug hugs :)
Lauren
P.S. How's Jess?

Kathy (woolfind) said...

Thanks for sharing your earlier pieces. Best thing to do was to start out small and finish what you started. And you did! Love your color choices..